Monday 4 June 2012

Lecture Twelve - Blogging

Finally the week I have been longing for all semester has come, the final week of tutes and lectures. Therefore I was more than willing to make the bus trip to UQ for my one hour day consisting of my last ever JOUR1111 lecture in Forgan Smith. Upon entering E109 the day got better as we were to be lectured by Steve Molkington. Steve is a Queenslander who writes, edits and publishes his own TV entertainment blog entitled MOLKS TV TALK. This is a daily blog that is focused on Steve's opinions on television programs and also covers topical issues. 

Not that I intend to get to into the journalistic career of Molks, but I do think that he really has accomplished a lot in the time frame that it was done. In only 18 months of having started his blog, Steve Molkington now has approximately 1.5 million people view his blog every month and another approximate 130,000 unique viewers subscribing and viewing each month. Steve seemed to pass these facts off like it wasn't that big of a deal however it is such an amazing achievement for someone who 18 months ago was stuck in an IT job in a mid-life crisis!

Steve gave some really good advice to those of us who intend to pursue a career in the world of journalism. He said that "to gain real credibility as a blog artist you need to have a 5 year history, the first few years is about establishing yourself but it takes it takes time to gain recognition in the marketplace." He also said that "the more you blog, the better you get." And also that "“You as the publisher of your blog can write the message. The freedom that opens up for you is amazing.” I found these three particular quotes the most motivating and really made me wish I put more effort into my blog this semester. Steve encouraged us to continue with our blogging and build a brand for ourselves on what interests us particularly as it will assist with our future endeavours. 

Overall I think that this lecture was defiantly a good one to finish on. It seemed to make the whole "blogging" thing become worthwhile as I didn't exactly see why we would blog for assessment but now it all kind of makes sense. It was really interesting and inspirational to hear the success of Steve and his blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment